A Web of Quests

I have just visited Prem's Blog and I can see that he really enjoys writing. His comment about the intended outcomes/objectives of the WebQuest has given me food for thought and perhaps I need to re-visit it.

Just when I thought I really knew so much more about cyberspace and this new virtual world I seem to be spending too much time in, I learn something new….

WebQuests! What a wonderful tool to cultivate learner autonomy. I must confess the first time I heard the term was on this course. I suppose I could have easily re-worked an existing WebQuest; it would have saved me hours and hours…but that would not satisfy the learner in me. I wanted to see the transformation from… nothing, to something; from zero to hero. Several hours later, I’m almost there. Finding the most appropriate resources for the task is time consuming but making sure that the rubric speaks to the task requirements is even more exhausting. I will have to cross the bridge of updating/editing a published WebQuest when I am ready to add the resources and the rubric…I hope it will let me!

Project-based learning (PBL) is not new to me; I have used it many times. It was strange however, to find it so extensively acclaimed by so many educators. I suppose I have simply taken it for granted. I am extremely concerned however, that with all the mistakes we have made in SA with the education system, the minister has boobed even further and has now marginalised project-based learning to near invisibility. The irony is that of all the tasks that are set for learners, PBL comes closest to fulfilling the constructivist, learner-centred, outcomes-based mandate of the new curriculum!

The power of PBL being facilitated technologically through WebQuests is awe-inspiring to say the least. I must just ensure that I am able to conceptualise quality projects that suit my needs, which makes good use of time and makes creative use of technology.

I am hopeful that because the Ambassadors are adults, they will not need extrinsic motivation to complete the tasks.

However, my greatest concern right now is that two weeks have passed and the Board has not given me a response to my proposal to carry out the action research that this project entails. Right now, with the sweet taste of WebQuest success on my lips…er… fingertips I am going to do a Scarlet O’Hara and say, “I’ll think of some other way….After all, tomorrow is another day.”

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nalini,

    as usual, it'a a great pleasure to read your posts, as every time I find out new things about and from you. While reading, I was sad to find out that the project based learning is reduced to nothing in your country, and that, besides the hard work supposed by this course (where we find and practice new things) you have to worry about the accept...

    I cross my fingers for you! I know everything will be fine! Good luck!

    Nadina

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to share this space with me, so...what do you think? Do leave a comment; I'm sure I would be intrigued by a glimpse into your mind.