Week 7: The Power of PowerPoint

One of the Seven Roles of being an educator is to be a life-long learner. [If you like you can have a look at the other roles in the The Seven Roles of the Educator rubric I designed for teachers. Of course this is very broad-based and needs to be applied piece meal and over time. The rubric is based on a South African Policy Document called The National Education Policy Act 1996 – Norms and Standards for Educators.] Yet again, I have learnt so much this week and again, had much fun doing so.

I briefly mentioned to a friend of mine, who was part of the Winter Class of UO, studying another course, what I was doing, and she regrets not having selected this course. Don’t get me wrong; she enjoyed hers very much and did very well, but she feels she would have learnt so much more on this one.

Anyway, I cannot believe we are so close to the end. Where have the past seven weeks gone?

This week we looked at how to make teaching large classes more interactive as well how to use PowerPoint (PP) to do so. I thought I was so good on PowerPoint! I take great pride and pleasure in clicking my way through a PP Presentation when it is complete. I love watching the animated letters fall from above or rise up from below or enlarge and shrink…. Ha! I have used hyperlinks with great pleasure. However, this being said, I did not have a clue that ‘Action Buttons’ existed! I did not know about embedded custom shows either. This week has served to peak my interest further because there are still things I do not know! I am looking forward to this adventure.

I am metacognitively, constantly critically evaluating my thoughts – as in an out-of-body experience and I quite like this. It forces me to be brutally honest with myself and this is not a bad thing.

I have to also think on two levels: as a trainer with resources at most times, and as a teacher without resources at others. The fact that I am able to implement a great idea does not mean that teachers in under-resourced schools can implement them. I would like to think that the value I add is considerable but I have a secret longing. I can’t remember who said it but I think they were very wise words indeed. We spend so much time trying to improve our weaknesses that we forget to nurture our strengths to new heights. Just for once, I would like to be able to see the impact of my training in an environment that has the necessary tools and technology…a pipe dream?

I must remember to go back to my WebQuest…It is still incomplete!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Nalini,

    I agree with you that an educator is a long-life learner. I think we should always implant in our students that a successful English learner is also a long-life learner.

    Thanks for sharing the The Seven Rules the Educator rubric.

    Good luck with your WebQuest!

    Yours,

    Mohamed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nalini,

    you are so right to say that we are long-life learners, and there are so many training programs having just this title, for teachers. We are the educators of the future society and it's very good we understand our mission, our responsability. It's great we have met here and I hope from the bottom of my heart that our blogs will be alive even after the course is over, and we keep in touch.

    Personally, I have learned so many things, I have changed myself...

    I wish you all the best,
    Nadina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mohamed

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I do hope that you find the rubric helpful.

    Nalini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nadina

    Thank you for visiting again.

    Although I have an aversion for e-mails that do the rounds, one that has found a place in my memory says, people come into your lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. I believe this to be true.

    Take care.

    Nalini

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nalini,

    Learning makes us be more comfortable about what we can do and learn. I have realized that you are every active in taking the tasks of this course seriously and could be a model of long-life learning.

    I understood how hard it was when we try something that we have not got any hints for it. I believe that you can find your ways. In my place, if I do have some technical problems with anything, I will follow two options:
    1. Google it on the Internet for how to do it (any search engines could be useful)
    2. Call or Go to see a friend who has experiences in that field and get things done in a few minutes.

    I gain experiences from both ways and sometimes I have to use both.

    Therefore, if you still have any problems that you want to share, please don't hesitate to ask me and I also believe that our friends in this course would give a hand too.

    Sincerely,

    Khang
    KGCC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nalini,

    Coming from so different environments, all of us here in this course spot similar anxieties and doubts concerning our profession.

    Reading your reflections every week, I stop for a while to ponder over the quality of teaching languages in Poland and try to compare it with what you desribe. Perhaps we will have a chance to discuss it at length at some time in the future?

    What struck me in this particular post was your concern for teachers' continuous development and their sensitivity to the conditions they teach in. There are wonderful tools and great technologies available, but before we decide to implement them, we need to consider their application in our specific and unique environment...

    Good luck and regards,
    Joanna
    Poland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Khang

    Thank you for visiting my blog.

    Thank you also for your kind offer. I will be sure to holler for help.Google and now NoodleTools are my best friends so hopefully I will be okay.

    Best regards

    Nalini

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Joanna

    I am sure we will be able to chat. Skype is always an option. I have also registered with Elluminate who offer online free meeting space for three people. A pity I could not make the webinar on Thursday but I will access the archived one as soon as I can squeeze it in.

    Teaching has lost it's 'noble profession' status in SA. The unions have really done the profession no good at all. It has also attracted the wrong kind of people whose dedication is highly questionable. I know this sounds terrible but education in SA is going nowhere....fast! One can expose many of these teachers to as much professional development as possible but whether they do anything with it in class or not, is another matter. Many teachers of languages and other subjects in general, do not know that one cannot teach a second language speaker in the same way that one teaches a first language speaker! Of course there are always the die-hards so there must be hope for us yet.

    I must stop now, because when I get started on this topic, I find it very difficult to stop...

    Chat soon.

    Nalini

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to share this space with me, so...what do you think? Do leave a comment; I'm sure I would be intrigued by a glimpse into your mind.